Safer Sleep Week 15-21 March 21
This week is Safer Sleep Week. The Lullaby Trust raises awareness of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), provide expert advice on safer sleep for babies and offers emotional support for bereaved families.
We all know that babies are precious and here at Alice we are proud to be able to say that we only provide BRAND NEW cot and cot bed mattresses to parents, through our Bump & Beyond project.
The Lullaby Trust advise that there is some research that found an increased chance of SIDS when using a second-hand mattress, although the link is not yet proven. Proven or otherwise, we are committed to the safety of the babies of families that we support, so you will never receive a second-hand cot or Moses basket mattress from the Alice Charity.
You can find lots of advice here on safer sleep for babies on the Lullaby Trust website
Some of the key messages from The Lullaby Trust with regards to Safer Sleeping for baby are:
- Always place your baby on their back to sleep.
- Keep your baby smoke free during pregnancy and after birth.
- Breastfeed your baby.
- Place your baby to sleep in a separate cot or Moses basket in the same room as you for the first 6 months.
- Use a firm, flat, waterproof mattress in good condition.
Things to avoid:
- Never sleep on a sofa or in an armchair with your baby.
- Don’t sleep in the same bed as your baby if you smoke, have drunk alcohol, have taken drugs or medication or are extremely tired, or if your baby was born prematurely or of low birth weight.
- Avoid letting your baby get too hot.
- Don’t cover your baby’s face or head whilst sleeping or use loose bedding.
- Remove all pillows, cot bumpers and soft toys from the cot
- Don’t sleep your baby on a soft surface such as a pod or nest
If you would like any support, either advise or baby equipment to ensure that your baby sleeps safely, then please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01782 614838 – we are here to help you. #spreadingloveandkindness